The Arizona Interscholastic Cycling League was organized in 2012 to provide competitive mountain biking programs for student-athletes in grades 9 to 12. With the cooperation of local race organizers, our partners and our sponsors we are able to provide a high quality mountain racing experience. Regardless of ability level, the Arizona League is committed to providing a positive experience for all participants.
Matt Fritzinger, a teacher at Berkeley High, founded the League with the 2001 NorCal High School Mountain Bike Racing Series. As the coach of the Berkeley High team he saw that a school team could succeed, but that competition would be required for it to thrive. In the first series mountain bikers from schools all over Northern California answered the call and came to compete as semi-organized high school teams. Now well over 50 California schools offer well organized mountain bike programs and is spreading to states all over.
The League is committed to teaching safe riding practices. We believe forming high school teams is the best way for students to learn how to ride safely. To learn safe riding technique or learn how to teach these skills, join our next rider camp or coaches conference. For up to date news and info join our e-mail list, or send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know how you’d like to get involved.
The Arizona Interscholastic Cycling League works to establish and maintain safe, quality high school mountain bike programs. The League is responsible for establishing a climate that will:
- Provide students who have the desire to mountain bike with the coaching and camaraderie that will help them achieve both competitive and non-competitive cross-country mountain biking goals in a safe and enjoyable manner;
- Develop an awareness of what it is to be an amateur athlete that is both gracious and respectful to their community;
- Create an environment in which they may discover new friendships and find role models;
- Guide students towards learning new skills and disciplines, and spread the foundations of mountain bike racing across the U.S.;
- Foster a responsible attitude toward the use of trails and wilderness;
- Promote the value of cycling to our community as a mode of transportation and as a life long sport.